In Illinois, the Gun Owner Sanctuary County movement is gaining steam once again amidst the onslaught of anti-gun legislation coming from Springfield and bolstered by the new wave of Second Amendment Sanctuary Counties now popping up all over the country. Here's a list of which counties declared resolutions lately.
Counties That Passed A Second Amendment Supporting Resolution:
- Jersey County
Jersey actually passed their resolution last August, but like with so many other small counties we didn't get word about it until recently. Special thanks to David Campbell for finding out about this one.
- Ogle County
Ogle was mentioned on social media and forums recently, after passing their resolution on February 19th. If you follow the gun sanctuary counties movement you might have heard about this one. Gun Rights Watch answered questions to some who were trying to get it passed, so hopefully what we did helped.
- Edwards County
We just discovered that Edwards had already passed their own resolution last year. This is another case where the county is fairly small and didn't get the word out to anyone.
Counties We Know Of That Plan On Voting Soon:
Menard and Marshall Counties have been yellow on our map for quite some time, and we've gotten no news from them. Since nothing has changed, we're leaving them that way for now until we hear about anything else going on there.
The other three yellow counties on our map have all had recent news, so here's a quick rundown.
- Henderson County has a Second Amendment Resolution vote of some kind on the agenda for the very near future. Headcounts from the county lean strongly toward it being very likely to pass.
- DeWitt County will also be voting very soon, but we don't have more details than that. DeWitt is the home of Farmer City, which passed its own resolution last year, so for that reason alone, there's good reason to think this one will also pass.
- Kankakee County is one we've talked about before and has probably been in the news the most. Apparently, a bit of discussion has been taking place on just what the resolution should say, but clues lead us to think that the negotiation phase is winding down and we'll see the board vote on the measure in short order.
Other Changes We Know Of:
These counties are all very recently confirmed to now have active movements designed to bring their resolutions to a vote this year. We will be watching all of these.
- Scott County
- Vermillion County
- Kendall County (renewed attempts)
- Putnam County
- Jo Daviess County (second attempt)
Current List of Gun Owner Sanctuary Counties:
- Farmer City
If anyone has information or updates about efforts to get resolutions passed in other counties, please send it our way. We have connections in the Second Amendment community in Illinois and may be able to get you help in getting a resolution passed where you live.